There are a great many facts and rumors that have swirled around the late club royalty, Prince. There are things you may know and gossip you may think you do. There is also a great deal that no one had the first clue about.
Facts You Know
Prince was actually born Prince Rogers Nelson. The icon was 57 years old when he left this world on April 21st, 2016. He has been known for wild onstage antics; unique sound; flamboyant costumes; and outrageous makeup. You may not have known that he only weighed 120 pounds and was 5’2” tall. This may explain the high heel portion of his flashy attire.
- Prince starred in what was basically his own life story during the early portion of the 80’s.
- Purple Rain, the album and sound track for the movie, sold well over 13 million copies in the United States alone.
- The same album remained in the number one spot on the Billboard 200 for 24 weeks running.
- When the film, single, and album all hit number one at the same time in 1984, Prince was the first singer to have ever accomplish this achievement.
- His Purple Rain album holds the number 72 position 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, from Rolling Stones.
Scandalous Fact: Darling Nikki raised a few eyebrows because one of the fans happened to be an 11 year old girl. The child was Tipper Gore’s daughter and the song spurred the establishment of the Parents Music Resource Center. The organization is responsible for the labels which read, ‘Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics’.
Facts You May Not Know
Prince gave to numerous charities and projects around the world. It was never his way to advertise this and in fact asked that it be kept on the down low. The public may ever know just how charitable he was in his life.
- Prince heavily supported the YesWeCode whose program mission is to unite leaders and techs with programs which are geared toward benefiting those who are disadvantaged.
- Last October Prince joined concert efforts which raised $1.5 million for the campaign known as Black Lives Matter. He more specifically believed that children’s lives matter and is said to have been heard saying that he truly hoped the kids would use their genius to launch businesses.
- In 2011 the mayor of Columbia, S.C., Steve Benjamin, reached out to Prince and in response he donated $250,000 to assist low income families of preschoolers through an organization known as Eau Claire Promise Zone.
- Prince gave back to his community by donating $1 million to struggling families in Harlem through a non-profit organization known as the Harlem Children’s Zone.
- In 2014 the Uptown Dance Academy received $250,000 from prince to retain their space.
- The Rebuild the Dream program is another cause that Prince advocated. It provides the resources so that average individuals could come together to do amazing things for their communities. These people are sisters; brothers; dads; moms; students; and seniors striving to rise above.
- He launched his fragrance, which was named after the 3121 album of 2006, in concert style and regalia fashion in 2007. Prince split all of the proceeds from the spectacular 24 event with a handful of the charities closest to his heart.
Types of Foundations Prince Supported: Hunger; Health; Family/Parent Support; Education; Creative Arts; Children; Cancer; At-Risk/Disadvantaged Youths; AIDS & HIV; Orphans; Fostering; Adoption; and Abuse
Other Charitable Organizations Prince Contributed To:
- Urban Farming
- The Bridge
- Jazz Foundation of America
- Gross-Michael Foundation
- Elton John AIDS Foundation
- Elevate Hope Foundation
- Edith Couey Memorial Scholarship Trust Fund
- City of Hope
- Tiger Woods Foundation
Things You Never Heard
It cannot be said that there have never been rumors about Prince. Upon close examination, you can track down rumors about anyone. Typing his name into your favorite search engine does not bring back the intensely scandalous gossip that other names do.
Most of what is listed about the Purple Prince is either silly stuff or a butt load of crap. This is most likely true of many celebrity scandals. This is not to say that this sassy superstar was never in trouble or that he was perfect; however, nothing which may be researched and proven even comes close to the smallest of indiscretions committed by his peers which will not be discussed here at this time.
Prince will be missed and he definitely lit his own path through the music industry and the world. He was a unique individual with his own flare for the limelight which he got off on demonstrating on stage in living color. There is nothing really wrong with that nor should there be.
His presence actually sets a precedent which says be yourself, be unique, and never let them stuff you in a box. Among the rumors that pop up you may find a few that seem juicy. Most of these lead to nowhere as they are unfounded and unproven. Some of the Prince facts listed seem kind of boring when it comes to celebrity gossip. There seems to be nothing much you can truly sink your teeth into.
It does bring a strange thought to mind. Prince should be recognized for the good he has done for the world as well as for making his own presence be known. He does deserve respect for walking his own colorful road. It seems a bit odd that the world is talking more about what Prince has not done.
Polite society, implying that it is both polite and civilized which may be a stretch, must elevate a life lived right to that of deity status. Respect is due and shall be given, but what does it say about our mentality that being a respectable individual stands out like a beacon among one’s peers?